OVERALLS: HOW TO WEAR THEM LIKE A GROWN-UP
There is something inherently juvenile about a pair of overalls, but I don't think this is totally a bad thing. I think that's part of what makes them fun and a little bit cheeky. I thought that I would use today's post to share my tips on how to make overalls work as an adult.
1. I think the most important component is the fit. Overalls are a fun item to go slightly slouchy with, but you're going to always look more polished if you stick to a tapered leg. Think of a more boyfriend fit skinny jean. You also always have the option to cuff if you feel like your pair is a little bit Old McDonald. Mine are more fitted than I would have liked, but I'm not ready to embrace my recent need to size up so don't judge me.
2. Accentuate your waist. It's easy to lose your figure in a pair of overalls. This pair was great because it has built-in belt loops, so I could just add a pop of leopard at my waist and voila, instant slimming. You can achieve a similar look with a cropped jacket if you are going sophisticated, or a flannel tied above the hips for a more casual look.
3. Accessorize. Avoid looking overly farmer chic by throwing on a pair of chunky heels or block heeled booties to elongate your legs and get a more put together vibe. I also added a feminine bag to my look to keep it fun and girly.
4. The bottom layer. I think this is where you can have the most fun, and where I plan to create some really unique outfits with my denim overalls in the spring. With the velvet, I felt like doing too much on the under-layer would make the look overbearing. However, with denim, I am thinking anything from off the shoulder, chic silk blouses, lace everything, casual striped tees, cropped tops, bell sleeves... The options really are endless.
5. Something that I didn't realize prior to owning a pair of overalls is what they can do for your butt. Overalls are SO flattering on that particular, um, asset. Take this look as an opportunity to rock your curves and flaunt what you've got!
Overalls aren't just for the too cool for school hipster crowd anymore! I hope these ideas can help you make this fun look work for you
SHOP MY LOOK: